Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Soft and wonderful cookies. This is a recipe my mom gave me. The kids love them.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- candied cherries or chocolate Hershey chocolate kiss
For the vanilla filling mix the following
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (may need to add a little more if frosting is too thin)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter, 2/3 cup of sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- In another bowl combine flour, cocoa, and salt and blend them into a cream mixture.
- Chill dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Combine the chopped nuts and 2 tbsp of sugar in a small bowl.
- Dip the balls in egg white then the nut mixture.
- Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Press thumbprint gently in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- As soon as cookies come out of the oven place about 1/4 tsp of the vanilla filling in the print.
- Gently place a halved cherry or chocolate kiss in the print.
- Remove the cookies from the sheet and cool.