Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This looks wonderful. I think it would be great to give as a gift or to serve for breakfast on a holiday.
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour (I just use Pam) 2 loaf pans.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, applesauce, cocoa powder, butter, water, eggs, baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Beat at low speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour into baking pans.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove if desired.
- Cool breads completely.
this was delicious and so easy to put together. I made it this morning and one loaf is over half gone. It's not too sweet but has enough sweet and chocolate to cure a craving. Made for My 3 Chefs, fall 2009.