Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
An unusual and delicious loaf that will turn your afternoon cuppa into a Tea Party! It also goes well with iced Earl Grey. Serve it chilled with unsalted butter or toasted for breakfast. From Murphy's B&B, Narragansett, RI
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cocoa, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter or oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir well.
- Stir in the nuts, raisins, and dates, batter will be stiff.
- Spoon into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool briefly in pan, then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.