Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These remind me of Christmas because for years they were a mainstay on my family's holiday cookie tray. They are very rich but not TOO sweet. The chocolate filling has the consistency of a brownie, surrounded by a flaky cream cheese pastry crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together ingredients for crust, until soft dough forms, roll dough into small balls.
- Press each ball into ungreased mini-muffin tin. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips into double boiler to melt.
- Add the milk, sugar, butter, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and blend in one well beaten egg.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into the crust and top it with a nut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I had this recipe on hand for forever but finally got the chance to make them. Everyone loved them! The dough was quick and easy to make and the chocolatey filling puffed up really nicely. They're really tasty, like mini brownie pies. Kind of ingenious! The filling was not too sweet but still rich and lovely. I made tarts topped with different toppings, some with walnuts, some with almonds and others with mini marshmallows. They were all delicious. Thanks!
These are excellent! I think I over-filled my tarts, but found they made a nice even 2 dozen. I'm not sure, but I think if I had chilled my dough, it would have been easier to work with; but this is a fairly simple, straight-forward recipe and they taste SO YUMMY! Thanks, Mimi Peppers, for sharing a great recipe. Made for Spring PAC '09.