Recipe by SusanRW
This old-fashioned tapioca pudding recipe came from my great-great-grandmother. I come from a long line of chocoholics, and I truly didn't know that tapioca pudding normally wasn't chocolate until I got married!!
Top Review by Krista Roes
Although this tasted wonderful, I didn't take a picture because it didn't look very nice. Gently folding the egg whites back in made it "lumpy looking" and I was afraid to cream it because I didn't want to loose the lift. It did taste wonderful though! Made for Chef's Alphabet Soup Game
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tapioca
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix milk, salt, and tapioca in 3 quart saucepan. Cook and stir until begins to thicken.
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Set whites aside.
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, and cocoa in separate saucepan. Heat and mix until creamy. Add cocoa mixture to tapioca mixture and heat until boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add vanilla.
- Remove from heat. Beat egg whites until stiff then fold whites into tapioca mixture. Pudding may be eaten warm or refrigerated. My family prefers to eat it cold.