Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These brownies have a very different taste than boxed. They're very good though, and easy to make. I didn't time myself so I'm over guessing on the prep time. And how many servings you get depends on how large you like to cut your brownies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 16 ounces chocolate syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk (may need to add more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- nuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Grease a 13x9 pan.
- For the bars: Beat together sugar and softened butter until creamy.
- Add vanilla, eggs and chocolate syrup.
- Blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- Stir into chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- For the frosting: Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Blend in cocoa and heat just until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Blend in powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- You may need to add additional milk if frosting is too dry.
- Stir in nuts, if you are using them.
- Spread carefully over brownies.
- Let sit for a bit to firm up frosting.
While fine, they are still a little too cakey for my tastes. You can't beat them for quickness, though. Seems like these would be good as the cake portion of a chocolate trifle. I was tempted to chop up and stir in a chocolate bar but was just too tired. i would make these again in a pinch, otherwise, I'd go with the ones that involve cocoa powder.
These were pretty good! They're a cake-like brownie. I used up a dark-chocolate-mint ice cream topping for the syrup, so they had a minty flavor. Very tasty and easy, I will make this again!