Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Hershey's has nothing on this delicious syrup! Terrific over ice cream or cakes. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup or 1⁄4 cup golden syrup
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix cocoa, sugar and salt well; add water slowly, stirring to form a smooth paste.
- Add corn syrup and boil for 5 minutes to cook the starch of the cocoa thoroughly.
- Cool, add vanilla and pour into a clean jar.
- Store in refrigerator.
This is my FAVORITE chocolate syrup!! Please be aware that the boiling syrup "swells" as it boils and use a pan twice as big as you think you need!! I sometimes add 1/4 cup instant coffee w the vanilla to make a mocha syrup. Yum!!