Recipe by Olha
Delicious Bundt cake. Coconut vanilla yellow cake surrounds a chocolate-like truffle middle. Be sure you use a 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Take twelve cups of water and fill your Bundt. If 12 cups fit then it will be large enough for this cake. Below is a choice of icing, glaze or frosting, for this cake. Source: The Hershey's Chocolate Cookbook
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup regular margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk, soured*
- 1 cup Hershey's syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
CHOICE OF ICING OR FROSTING IF YOU WISH
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup regular margarine, softened
- 3 2⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar (1-pound package)
- 1⁄2 cup Hershey's syrup
- 1 hershey's milk chocolate candy bar, broken into pieces (4 ounces)
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, broken into pieces**
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 (4 ounce) hershey's milk chocolate candy bars, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE VANILLA BATTER: Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Combine flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda and the salt; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE BATTER: Combine syrup and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Measure 2 cups of the vanilla batter into small bowl; blend in chocolate syrup mixture.
- Add coconut to remaining vanilla batter; pour vanilla batter into GREASED and FLOURED 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan. Pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter in pan; DO NOT MIX.
- Bake at 350°F about 70 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely; glaze or frost as desired. I served it plain with whipped cream. 12 to 16 servings.
- TO MAKE THE ICING: Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar in small mixer bowl; blend in syrup. Melt chocolate bar pieces in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water; add to syrup mixture. Add milk; beat to spreading consistency. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE: Combine chocolate and cream in small saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; do not boil. Remove from heat; cool, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 10 to 15 minutes. About 1 cup.
- TO MAKE CHOCOLATE-COCONUT FROSTING: Combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan; blend in evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; remove from heat. Add chocolate bar pieces and butter; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in coconut and nuts. Immediately spread on cake. About 2 cups frosting.
- *To sour milk: Use 1 Tablespoon vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
- **You may substitute 1 1/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips for the baking chocolate.