Recipe by Um Safia
Cute little cupcakes! Great for the kids to make and for all of us to enjoy. Undecorated they freeze really well so you can prepare them beforehand.
Top Review by Chef 1278268 fitness
I'm so sorry I don't like giving bad review but I wasn't very impresed with this recipe. I was looking for a treat to take with us on a camping trip to celabtate my sons 10th birhday. I saw this recipe and after reading the good reviews thought I'll give it a try. To strt with I'dlike to say that the icing came out beautifully I had to add some exta milk, and it came nice and smooth like choc spread. I would prefer if it was to the cake on the ingredients though. The cup cakes where disapointing to what I was hoping. They came out flat or even worst, in a dip, and dry in texture.
- 175 g butter or 175 g margarine
- 125 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 14.79 ml milk
- 14.79 ml golden syrup
- 175 g icing sugar
- 150 g smarties candies (chocolate beans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas5. Put 18 paper cases into bun tins.
- Weigh out 50g of butter and set this aside to make the icing. Add the remaining 125g to the sugar and beat together until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each one. Add 1tbsp of flour with the last egg.
- Sift together the remaining flour, baking powder and 25g of the cocoa, then fold into the cake mixture.
- Divide between between the cake cases and bake for approx 15 minutes, or until they spring back when pressed lightly. Remove from bun tray and place on wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, put remaining butter in a pan with the milk and golden syrup and heat gently until the better starts to melt. Remove pan from heat and sift in the icing sugar and remaining cocoa. Beat together to create a thick and glossy icing.
- Spoon a little onto each cup cake and decorate with the Smarties.
- Note: You can use all kinds of sweets to decorate -- feel free to experiment or use your faves!