Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 50 mins
For adult only, chocolate cupcakes with whisky truffles. From NYTimes.com. Originally published with DE GUSTIBUS; The Cakes That Take New York Erupt With Molten Chocolate By FLORENCE FABRICANT, November 27, 1991
- Making Truffles
- Melt 4 ounces of the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Combine cream and whisky in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then pour over the melted chocolate. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is firm enough to handle, about an hour. Using a melon baller or a teaspoon, quickly form the chocolate mixture into eight truffle-sized balls. Place on a pan or plate lined with waxed paper and refrigerate.
- Making cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a muffin tin or tins with 8 cups that are each 4 inches in diameter, preferably of 1-cup capacity.
- Melt the remaining 5 ounces of chocolate and 10 tablespoons butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water; stir and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture thickens, triples in volume and forms a ribbon. Fold in the melted chocolate. Sift the flour over the mixture and quickly fold it inches.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cups. Insert a chilled truffle in the center of each, place in the oven and bake 12 minutes, until the top springs back when touched lightly. Do not insert a cake tester.
- Unmold the cakes: run a knife around the edges, then place a baking sheet over the tin and, holding both together, invert, then carefully lift off the muffin tin. Serve at once with whipped cream or ice cream. YIELD 8-1 cup servings.