Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is best, in my opinion, served warm right out of the oven. I like to make in individual dishes. I just divide the "Topping" ingredients equally into each one.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup cold coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over hot water.
- Meanwhile, sift together 1 1/4 cups of the sugar, sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the dry mixture into the chocolate mixture and blend.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased, square 9 by 9-inch cake pan.
- Mix brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cocoa powder and sprinkle over the batter.
- Pour coffee over and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold from the pan.
I made this in coffee cups. Turned out GREAT!! LOL, Just as good as when you make it.
Lali Nani Ma, this is so good! I didn't have unsweetened chocolate, so, I used 6 tbsps. cocoa powder+2 tbsp. margarine, melted and mixed together as a substitute for it. Also, I substituted the butter with margarine. I did run out of all purpose flour while making this. So, I used 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of self-raising flour. Since 1 cup of self-rasing flour contains 1 1/2 tsps. of baking powder and 1/8 tsp. of salt already, I cut down the baking powder to 2 1/2 tsps. and used about 1/4 tsp. of salt. To make this slightly guilt free, I used Virtually fat-free milk. My kitchen smelt awesome while this was baking - mmm, I can still smell the chocolate! This cake took a very long time(3 hours!) to bake in my AMC Dutch Oven. Having patience was the toughest task on hand but it was well worth the wait;-) Once this cake was out of the tin and sliced, I rolled it in a mixture of 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar and 2 tsps. of ground green cardamom. Oh gawsh, then it was SOO GOOD, I cant tell you enough in words - you will have to try it to know what it's like!! My dad, bro, mom, and others who had it loved it to the core! Thank you very very much for sharing this cake! I miss hearing from you and really hope you get this review so we can get in touch again! :-)