Recipe by tildeWonder
I wanted to get more flax seeds in my diet so I came up with these super chocolately cupcakes that have a ton of flax seeds in them. Plus they taste just like a boxed cake mix.
Top Review by Mamaof5Girls
These are very yummy! I used Stevia in the Raw in place of the sugar and will add a little more next time to make the cupcakes a little sweeter. I didn't have any pure stevia so I'll be experimenting til I get the right amount of sweetness. I used the whole wheat flour I had on hand (not white whole wheat) but othewise I think everything else was as written. Oh, well, I sneaked in a few mini-chocolate chips! These do taste like a box chocolate cake mix but are so much better for you! Thank you for a great recipe - I'll be making these often!
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia powder, I use Trader Joe's brand
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon molasses
- Whisk together first 7 ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spray some cupcake liners with nonstick cooking spray and immediately spoon in the batter. Don't let it sit for too long otherwise it can get really thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy.
- Note: Makes 6 cupcakes. Each cupcake has 4 teaspoons of ground flaxseed, about 2.13g of Omega 3s, and about 140 calories. If not sweet enough for you, you can add more stevia or sugar or use fruit juice instead of water.