Recipe by HokiesMom
A wonderful sugar cookie that is fun to decorate for birthdays, holidays or just leave as is and dunk in a big ol' glass of milk. Amount of cookies varies based on the size of the cookie cutter used. Chill time of 1 hour is included in the preparation time.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, melted (2 squares normally)
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar and egg.
- Stir in melted chocolate and corn syrup.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thickness on a well floured surface.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 3-5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired decorate with icing after cool to fit the holiday, event or just eat them as is.