I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website while searching for strawberries and the photo had me drooling!!! I am posting it here so I can make it in the near future. Here is what the description states: "The gorgeous torte combines two great ingredients—chocolate and strawberries. —Paula Magnus, Republic, Washington.
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool. Transfer to a large bowl; beating sugar until blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with water beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside. For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the whipped topping; drizzle with half of the glaze. Top with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator.