Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Heather B used this recipe to win a blue ribbon at the Juniata County Fair. The original is published on the Nestle site which uses those semi sweets. Heather used Hershey s instead to bring in that ribbon. This is the correct recipe verified off the Nestle site [there was a problem with the original I posted] http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=128593
Top Review by Ms Wickett
The cooking time on this is WAY too long. Good thing I checked after 25mins! the outside crust was already dark brown and the top had no where begun to brown. I popped it under the broiler for a minute or two just to color the topping a bit. Took it out and cut the outside crust off because to me it spoiled the look. As far as taste haven't tried it yet...finished it as per recipe and threw it in the freezer for another day ...when I am not so annoyed.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 10 ounces strawberry jam
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Beat butter and 1 cup granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in 2 cups flour. Stir in 1 cup morsels. Spread mixture in prepared pan. Spread jam evenly over mixture in pan, leaving 1/2-inch border.
- Mix 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in medium bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in remaining morsels. Sprinkle streusel evenly over preserves.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool completely for about 2 hours in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract in small bowl. Drizzle over bars; let stand until set.