Recipe by Lawsome
In place of shortcake or biscuits, this recipe uses chocolate biscuits. Very dense and rich! I believe the recipe came from Fine Cooking magazine.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
OUTSTANDING shortcakes! What better combo than strawberries & chocolate! This recipe was a joy to make, VERY ENJOYABLE! I ended up using 6 cups of sliced berries AND then, when it was all put together, I topped it off with a small amount of another Zaar recipe that I'd made yesterday ~ Bev's recipe # 19678, recipe #19678! And who says you can't have a little bit of heaven on earth! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my invitees to the AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 6 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Toss with a fork to combine.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender.
- Stir in grated chocolate.
- Combine the cream and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the cream.
- Mix with a fork until the doug is evenly moistened and just combined.
- Gently knead by hand five or six times to pick up any dry ingredients and to create a loose ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat it into an 8-inch square, 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Trim about 1/4 inch from each side to create a nice edge.
- Cut the dough into 9 squares and place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Brush each biscuit with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare the strawberries by combining the strawberries and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the whipped cream, whip together the whipped cream, sugar and vanilla.
- To assemble the shortcakes:.
- Slice the biscuit in half, place strawberries and whipped cream on bottom half and top with other half of the biscuit.