Light and not too sweet or rich!
Make and share this Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake recipe from Food.com.
- 510.29 g box chocolate cake mix
- 99.22 g box chocolate pudding
- 4 eggs
- 177.44 ml milk
- 177.44 ml vegetable oil
Filling and Topping
- 283.49 g jar strawberry jam (I use homemade)
- 680.38 g strawberries
- 44.37 ml white sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1182.97 ml heavy cream
- 3-5 marshmallows (heated or melted in microwave for 20 seconds) (optional)
- confectioners' sugar
- Mix and bake cake ingredients according to box.
- Cool cakes completely.
- While the cakes are baking and/or cooling, slice strawberries, coat with white sugar and let sit in fridge until ready to put together. Leave some for garnish.
- Once cakes are cool, start mixing the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl beat the cream until it thickens.
- Add the vanilla, confectioners sugar, and marshmallows (to stabilize).
- Assemble cake.
- Place first layer on a cake plate with a small amount of jam to hold it.
- Spread jar of jam on the top of the first layer.
- Spread 1/4 of cream on top of jam making a dam and indent in the middle for sugar strawberries.
- Place 3/4 of the strawberries in indent.
- Spread 1/4 of the cream on top of the strawberries and cover with top layer of cake.
- Ice cake with remainder of the whipped cream making an indent again in the middle for the rest of the sugar strawberries.
- Garnish with large strawberries previously set aside.