Recipe by Karen=^..^=
Any chocolate cake or strawberry shortcake are my favorites. Here they are combined (yum) and it all starts with a cake mix!
Top Review by Terri F.
Yummmmm! I made this "shortcake" for dessert for a barbeque with friends. The only change I made in the recipe was to use Extra Creamy Cool Whip. Adding vanilla to the sugar and strawberries really intensified the strawberry flavor! *Everyone* wanted the recipe, and they wanted it NOW lol! We came inside and I printed them copies from Zaar. I think we'll have a few new members soon, thanks to Karen Monahan. :o)
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and cut in half (reserve 4 or 5 whole berries to dip in chocolate as a garnish, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 devil's food cake mix, prepared and baked into two 9 inch layers
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare chocolate glaze: Microwave chocolate, water and butter in a large bowl on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- If too thick, add a bit more water.
- Mix strawberries, sugar and vanilla.
- Spoon half of the strawberries on 1 cake layer.
- Drizzle with half of chocolate glaze and top with half of whipped topping.
- Repeat layers.
- Garnish top with chocolate dipped whole strawberries, if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving time.