Recipe by Irmgard
A new twist on an old favourite. While not your typical birthday cake, I made it one year for my husband and daughter, whose birthdays are two days apart and it was a big hit. They especially loved the chocolate-dipped strawberries that adorn the top.
Top Review by Rodger
I just did the cake portion to serve with mashed/sugared strawberries and whipped cream. It was amazing--it didn't look like the picture, but it tasted five stars. I used butter for the shortening. There were six of us for the two individual cakes and we devoured them. I'll definiely make again and again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup soured milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 quart strawberry
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the cake, combine the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in the soured milk and chocolate; mix well.
- Spread into 2 greased and floured 9" round layer cake pans.
- Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and brown sugar and sprinkle over one layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Brush each cake layer with 1 tablespoon orange liqueur.
- For the topping, partially melt the chocolate squares with shortening over hot water.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring until melted.
- Dip 7 strawberries in the chocolate mixture and chill.
- Hull and slice the remaining strawberries.
- To assemble the cake, place the plain cake layer on a serving plate, top with half of the whipped topping and all of the sliced strawberries.
- Top with the second layer and remaining topping.
- Drizzle with the remaining chocolate.
- Arrange the dipped strawberries on top.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.