Recipe by LAURIE
I’d forgotten about some of my strawberry recipes until I joined the strawberry recipe swap. This is one of my favorites but I’m partial to the chocolate/strawberry combo with anything! This cakes it great just as a cake as is the glaze, but combine them all together and WOWSERS! Enjoy fellow chocolate/strawberry lovers, it makes a spectacular presentation.
Top Review by spreadnjoy
This is sooo yummy! It isn't as difficult as it looks from reading the directions, there are many steps, but they are simple! The cake part turned out devilishly chocolatey, dense but moist, then the chocolate drizzle over the flavored strawberries was almost enough to put you in a coma of delight! (I liked this recipe, can you tell?)
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, for baking
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, cut in half, lengthwise
- 5 -6 additional whole berries (to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, for baking
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cake.
- Preheat oven to 350, and grease and flour 2 9inch round layer pans.
- Microwave 6 chocolate and 3/4 cup margarine in large microwavable bowl on high 2 minutes until margarine is melted.
- Remove and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups sugar into melted chocolate til well blended.
- Beat in eggs one at a time with electric mixer.
- Mix well.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla.
- Add ½ cup of flour, baking soda and salt, mixing well.
- Beat in remaining 2 cups flour alternating with the water until smooth.
- Bake 35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Make glaze.
- In microwavable bowl, put 3 sqrs chocolate, 3 TBS water and 1 TBS margarine on high 1-2 minutes, until chocolate is almost melted, stirring once during cooking.
- Remove from oven and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla until smooth.
- (If thinner glaze is desired add ½ -1 tsp more water).
- Dip 5-6 garnish berries lightly into glaze and set on wax paper lined plate in refrigerator to slightly firm up.
- To assemble cake.
- Mix strawberries, 2 TBS sugar and 1 tsp vanilla together.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate, flat side up, (place small strips of wax paper all around the sides of cake to catch drips).
- Spoon ½ of strawberries top of cake, laying them as flat as possible.
- Drizzle with ½ of the glaze over berry mixture and down sides of cake.
- Top with ½ of the cool whip.
- Repeat layer.
- Remove wax paper strips.
- Garnish with chocolate covered strawberries.