Recipe by BirdyBaker
What could be better than loads of fresh, succulent strawberries atop a heavenly chocolate cake, surrounded by clouds of whipped cream. This recipe is sooo good. Great when strawberry season rolls around.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece, divided
- 1⁄2 cup port wine, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
Directions See How It's Made
- In double boiler over simmering water, melt butter and 1/2 cup of the chocolate in 1/3 cup of the port.
- Stir and cool.
- In mixer bowl beat egg yolks with 6 tablespoons of the sugar until thick and pale.
- Gradually beat in chocolate mixture.
- Mix in flour and remaining chocolate.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining sugar just until stiff; gradually fold into chocolate batter to blend.
- Pour into greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pan.
- Bake in 325-degree oven 25 to 30 minutes until pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; loosen and invert onto plate. With back of spoon press shallow indentation into center of cake. Toss strawberries with remaining port; spoon into center of cake. Pipe or spoon whipped cream around edge.