Recipe by dale!
This is a wonderful summer dessert! Cut the cookies into whatever shape suits your occasion, and serve beautifully decorated. The possibilities are really endless!
- 100 g butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar icing
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 liter strawberry ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the butter, essence, icing sugar and egg in a small bowl with an electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix together the almond meal, flour and cocoa powder and stir into the butter mixture until well combined and a soft dough has formed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of baking paper until 3mm thick.
- Place paper and dough on a tray and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Cut shapes in dough with a cookie cutter.
- You can use any shape you like, as long as you can sandwich some ice-cream between it.
- Try heart shapes for a romantic occasion, rounds, stars or whatever!
- You need 12 cookies to make 6 sandwiches.
- Place shapes onto a greased oven tray and bake at 180 degree C for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave cookies on tray for 5 minutes to firm up then transfer them carefully to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, sandwich the cookies together with scoops of strawberry ice-cream (or another flavour if you prefer).
- Decorate with a dusting of extra cocoa powder and some fresh strawberries.