Recipe by Bev
I have not tried this recipe myself, but seeing all the Guinness lovers here I thought I should post this. The stout gives this cake an intense, not-too-sweet flavor. From Barrington's Brewery in Great Barrington, Massachusetts and Bon Appetit.
Top Review by Caroline28
I made this for a party that had a lot of beer lovers there. This was my first time making 3-layer cake, and the only thing I would recommend is lining only the bottom of the cake pan with parchment. If you line the whole pan, the paper creases along the sides, and the cake will bake around those, creating indentions which aren't too pretty. I received lots of compliments for the cake. I personally, don't like beer, but I couldn't taste it much in the cake, so I was pleased with that. If you are a chocolate lover, this is an excellent recipe.
- 2 cups stout beer (such as Guinness)
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups sour cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter three 8 round cake pans with 2 high sides.
- Line with parchment paper.
- Butter paper.
- Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 ½ tsp salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture and beat briefly on slow speed.
- Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Divide batter equally among prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
- For Icing: Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Refrigerate until icing is spreadable, stirring frequently, about 2 hours.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate.
- Spread 2/3 cup icing over.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Spread 2/3 cup icing over top.
- Top with third cake layer.
- Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.