1 hr 5 mins
I have not tried this recipe myself, but seeing all the Guinness lovers here I thought I should post this. The stout gives this cake an intense, not-too-sweet flavor. From Barrington's Brewery in Great Barrington, Massachusetts and Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups stout beer (such as Guinness)
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter three 8 round cake pans with 2 high sides.
- 3Line with parchment paper.
- 4Butter paper.
- 5Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- 7Cool slightly.
- 8Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 ½ tsp salt in large bowl to blend.
- 9Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- 10Add stout-chocolate mixture and beat briefly on slow speed.
- 11Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- 12Divide batter equally among prepared pans.
- 13Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- 14Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes.
- 15Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
- 16For Icing: Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- 17Remove from heat.
- 18Add chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- 19Refrigerate until icing is spreadable, stirring frequently, about 2 hours.
- 20Place 1 cake layer on plate.
- 21Spread 2/3 cup icing over.
- 22Top with second cake layer.
- 23Spread 2/3 cup icing over top.
- 24Top with third cake layer.
- 25Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Stout Cake
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 938.4
- Calories from Fat 488
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 33.3 g
- Cholesterol 217.4 mg
- Sodium 664.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 67.1 g
- Protein 10.6 g