I found a recipe for Chocolate Guinness Cake online at http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/recipes.php?recipe=10193 and tweaked it to suit the tastes of my family. They loved it! This is a very dark, rich, moist and heavy cake, so small slices are encouraged.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line a 9 inch springform tin.
- Pour the stout into a large saucepan, and add the sliced butter.
- Heat until the butter is melted, and remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in applesauce.
- Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
- Beat the yogurt with the egg, yolks and vanilla, then pour into the saucepan. Stir well.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda with a spatula (batter will be thick and dense).
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined tin, and bake for an hour.
- Leave to completely cool in the tin - this is very important because it is quite a large, damp cake.