Recipe by ElleFirebrand
A rich, chocolate cake for grown-ups, with a hint of tang from yummy Guinness.
- 59.14 ml cocoa powder
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 236.59 ml Guinness stout
- 158.51 ml cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 6.16 ml baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 118.29 ml light sour cream
- 28.34 g bittersweet chocolate
- 29.58 ml Guinness stout
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 14.79 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58 ml low-fat milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake:Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With cocoa powder, lightly dust two greased 8 or 9 inch spring form pans. In heavy saucepan heat butter, Guinness and cocoa powder until melted. Cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together, add the Guinness-cocoa mixture and beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Add eggs and sour cream and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove sides and cool. Use a serrated knife to even tops, if necessary. Frost. Chill the cake to set up the frosting.
- Frosting: Melt chocolate square, allow to cool. Beat in additional ingredients.
- Frost cake & enjoy!