Recipe by ElleFirebrand
A rich, chocolate cake for grown-ups, with a hint of tang from yummy Guinness.
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Guinness stout
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake:Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With cocoa powder, lightly dust two greased 8 or 9 inch spring form pans. In heavy saucepan heat butter, Guinness and cocoa powder until melted. Cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together, add the Guinness-cocoa mixture and beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Add eggs and sour cream and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove sides and cool. Use a serrated knife to even tops, if necessary. Frost. Chill the cake to set up the frosting.
- Frosting: Melt chocolate square, allow to cool. Beat in additional ingredients.
- Frost cake & enjoy!