Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
Richness of chocolate and the kick of ginger together in a delicious cookie.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 48 chocolate stars (decorative candies)
- Heat oven to 375.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, shortening and molasses; beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Add egg; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; beat until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 7 to 9 minutes or until tops are cracked and edges are set.
- Immediately press 1 candy in center of each cookie.
- Cool 1 minute. Remove from cookie sheets; place on wire racks.
- Cool about 3 hours or until candy is set before storing.