Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 532.32 ml flour
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 2.46 ml salt
- Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large mixin g bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add mixture of flour, cocoa and salt gradually; mix well.
- Press through cookie press onto cool ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until set. Remove onto wire rack.
- Cool completely.
I had bought a cheap little cookie press and couldn't wait to try it out. I definitely need practice, but these are a keeper! I cooked mine a minute or two longer, because I prefer them crunchy. To me they tasted like the crunchy edge of a brownie, delicious!
Here's the thing with this recipe: use very good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (like Valhrona or Scharffenberger, roll into logs that will fit easily into the cookie press then chill the dough very well, preferably overnight. The result: a dark, chocolatey cookie that will (and this is important) hold up well being pressed out, baked and transferred to cooling racks. This is easily the best recipe I've ever tried for pressed cookies, tied for the lemon lavender cookies (also fantastic).
I have no idea how this recipe has so many stars. 4.5 stars?! How did that happen? I 100% agree with those who said it tastes like chocolate sawdust. If they weren't made of chocolate I would say they are only good for dog cookies. I am so disappointed. Perfect consistency for cookie press but what the hell am I supposed to do with 90+ inedible cookies?