Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple, easy and delicious! from Canadian Diabetes Association
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- Line an 8 inch square or round cake pan with waxed paper.
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Beat in sugar gradually, continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Combine flour and cocoa and fold lightly into egg mixture.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Loosen sides with a sharp knife.
- Turn out immediately onto a paper towel lined cake rack to cool.
This is a nice and light cake. I used it to make a low cal, low carb and low fat Tirimisu. Only you need to line just the bottom of the pan with waxed paper. I had some hanging over the side and the oven smoked up like crazy. I should have known better. All-in-all, I found this recipe easy and lightly tasting as I wanted.
thissssss is so good! yummm-ooooo! i've tried to modify two recipes and wowww it wassss a big two thumbs up. it's my frist time to make a sponge cake... and yes it turned out a chocolate mocha sponge cake and i just want everyone to know that this site is good for novice and expert chefs. great job!
I made this cake yesterday and it's a keeper. It was so moist, not at all like the usual sponge cakes. I used the dutch cocoa recommended by another reviewer and it's definitely worth using. It was so dark and chocolatey. I also used lite cool whip on the top and the sides and then I shaved (3) Russell Stover-no sugar added French mint on the top. Wow, out of this world and still the sugar levels were low. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe. My family really enjoyed this.