Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great sponge recipe and only uses one egg.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Melt the butter and the syrup (I use the microwave).
- Add egg and sugar, beat well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Add to butter mixture.
- Add vanilla and lastly the baking soda dissolved in the milk.
- Bake 30-40 minutes at 190C (375F) degrees.
- Fill with whipped craem and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Considering that this recipe has much less fat than most cake recipes, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty this turned out. The texture is really lovely - soft and puffy. It is not an overly sweet cake, and the chocolate flavor is not very pronounced. Still, this was incredibly simple to prepare and I will certainly be making this again whenever I need a quick snack cake. This cooked very quickly - I recommend checking for doneness early as mine was already just a tiny bit too dark right at 30 minutes.