Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons 2% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place shortening in a large mixing bowl; beat with a heavy-duty mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until well blended. Add vanilla and egg white; beat well.
- Add flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Turn dough out onto wax paper; shape into a 6-inch log. Wrap log in wax paper. Freeze 2 hours or until very firm.
- Cut log into 24 (1/4-inch) slices, and place slices 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until set. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag. Working with 1 cookie at a time, pipe 3 concentric circles onto each cookie.
- Starting at center circle, pull a wooden pick through other circles at regular intervals to create a "web.".