Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of my own recipes. A chocolate cake with a slight Mexican taste.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, cocoa, spices, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl beat oil and brown sugar till well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla, blending well.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Stir nuts and raisins into dry mixture and then stir dry into the wet mixture until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 350° 45-50 minutes till it tests done.
- Cool 15 minutes, then turn out and finish cooling on wire rack.
- Serve plain or topped with Cool whip/or whipped cream.
This is an unusual cake, with almost a gingerbread taste to it, because of the spices. It is very moist, very dark brown. I like anything with cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon, people who aren't so enthusiastic, want want to reduce the amount of cloves and nutmeg by half. Fast, easy cake to put together, I cooked in in a very large fluted pie pan, to get pretty wedges. Would be nice served with whipped cream and cinnamon. I'll make it again.
Out of this world!!! To be honest I was a little reluctant about the zucchini but it did not taste like zucchini at all. I believe the zucchini gave consistency and moisture to the cake. I added a Â¼ of a cup chocolate syrup made by Walden Farms that is fat, carb and calorie free and Â½ cup of oil = Â¾ oil cup the recipe requested. My DH LOVES chocolate and this chocolate syrup is fantastic for any one interested in keeping their sweet tooth under control with a rich chocolate taste. This cake is so moist and delicious I recommend it to everybody. I will make it again and again! The combination of spices makes it exotic, unusual and very tasty. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe.
Even thou I'm on a diet & didn't have 1 bite...it smelled excruciatingly good & was very moist.This morning when I went in the kitchen there was only enough left for 3 VERY small pieces. I brought them to a meeting I had & have since forwarded the recipe to all attendees.I am not going to make this till I've lost a few more kilos & I get to enjoy it too!