Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just a great little spice cake, wonderful with chocolate or vanilla frosting.
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar (use 1 cup if you like it sweet)
- 3 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" round baking pan, and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and shortening until very well mixed; add in vanilla and eggs, beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture, with the buttermilk, beat for 2 minutes at low speed until moistened, then at medium speed for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Note: mini chocolate chips may be substituted for the chopped nuts, OR use 2 Tbsp of both.
Ohhh, where do I start? I could go on & on about all the things I was doing at the same time & that my oven needs replacing(we are deciding on a new one right now)& I should know better than to try to bake a cake in it, but I won't. I can't do you justice by posting the picture 'cause after frosting it with recipe #89207 Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, it looks like either Jabba the Hutt or a scene from "The Blob". The cake & frosting are slowly enveloping the cake server. I can tell you that it tastes out of this world. I'm in danger of eating the entire cake myself! This is my new favorite cake & I'll be making it again as soon as I get an oven that holds a temp. Thanks for sharing! This recipe was tested & enjoyed during Tag-a-Thon for Kittencal, January 2008.