Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Winner of the Oktober Fest Recipe Contest in Texas CoOp Power Magazine, 10/05.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time til blended.
- Stir in melted chocolate, mashed potatoes, lemon rind, and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg together.
- Ad flour mixture to rest of batter alternating with milk.
- Fold in pecans.
- Beat egg whites and carefully fold them in.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan then turn out to cool completely.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquats Kookin' Kaboodles! My son & I made this for the Kid Friendly Forums challenge. I left out the pecans as DS objected & added a little extra choc! We made this in a square pan & LOVED it - thanks for a super & unusual cake :)'
I can see why this is a winning cake!..this is a high-riser with a wonderful spice taste, I increased the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons and used prepared and cooled instant potatoes for this, and that worked out well. Great cake, thanks mama!...Kitten