Recipe by death_by_parsnip
Dairy free and delicious! This is the best ice cream I have made with my ice cream maker. Peanut butter can be used instead of soynut butter, but the soynut butter adds a unique taste that is heavenly with the cocoa.
Top Review by Als Gal
This is the first soy ice cream recipe I've tried making with my new KitchenAid 600 Stand Mixer using the ice cream maker attachment. I used Ghirardelli sweet ground premium baking cocoa powder and Cream-Nut natural peanut butter (manufactured by Koeze Co. in Grand Rapids, MI.) I also used Silk brand (Light) plain soy milk. The only other modification I made was to split the sugar (half Splenda/half granulated white sugar). Mixed the ingredients and chilled it in a tupperware container for 2 hrs before mixing it in the KitchenAid for 30 mins. We ate it as soon as it was done without further freezing. This ice cream is FANTASTIC!!! Great texture and just sweet enough. I'm sure we will make it again and again.
- 2 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy nut butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, whisk a few tablespoons of the soy milk together with the cornstarch.
- Add the remaining soy milk, sugar, soynut butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil while storring continuously.
- Whisk some of the boiling soy milk mixture to the beaten egg.
- Add the egg to the rest of the soy milk mixture and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Cool mixture, either in a sink of cold water or in the fridge.
- Put cooled mixture in an ice cream maker and make according to the manufacturer's instructions. Enjoy!