Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This should be named "I Can't Stop Eating It Chocolate Sour Cream Coffee Cake".
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 2 (2 ounce) packages chocolate, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one-at-a-time.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- When dry ingredients are completely blended, add the sour cream& vanilla.
- Fold in the chocolate bits.
- Prepare streusal by mixing all ingredients together.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into prepared loaf or tube pan.
- Top with 1/2 of the streusal.
- Add remaining batter on top of streusal.
- Top with with remaining streusal.
- Bake for one (1) hour at 350 degrees.
Yum is all I can say.This makes a great cake and quite a big one.I was surprised at how much it rose.It is very tasty and simple to make.The only change I would make next time would be to try using brown sugar in the streusel as the white sugar was quite crunchy on the top.Great recipe though!
Tasty and everyone enjoyed. It definitely has a buttery pound cake texture. I added a tablespoon of butter when melting the chocolate and sugar for the streusal to help with the thickness. The streusal comes together almost like dough, so I just crumbled it to sprinkle it in the loaf and on top. I used one large loaf pan and used the remaining batter in small square muffin tins (very cute and turned out great!) I baked in the loaf pan for 45 mins and 20 mins in the square muffin tins. I also took out a cup of batter and mixed in about 1/4 cup of cocoa to make a swirled coffee cake. I didn't use all the streusal to make it less sweet, so I wanted some extra color to it...but I don't think it did much for the loaf. My personal opinion I think this recipe has too much fat with all the butter, eggs, sour cream, and chocolate. I've made other good coffee cake recipes that don't use as much fat, but give it a try if you don't mind!
Depending on your sweet tooth, this recipe may or may not be appealing. No problems here with the streusal consistency or overflowing, but the sugar content in this is over the top. I could barely eat one small piece, yet my husband ate two. A tasty treat for the right person.