Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This is the traditional birthday cake in my brother's house. I ALWAYS look forward to having it again. It is moist, rich and decadent! If you use chunky peanut butter in the Frosting, omit the chopped peanuts. PLEASE NOTE, this is a recipe that you really need to make BOTH the cake and the frosting to appreciate. It is the combination that makes it so good. If you are looking for JUST a chocolate cake recipe, you should try Dark Chocolate Cake, not this one. ;)
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I really can't fault this recipe in any way on taste - it is what my kids want on each of their 3 respective birthdays. Just wish it was prettier - the icing is so delicious, but a real pain in the bu** to spread, and clumpy-looking, get past that, and you 'll think you're eating a Reese's. *Edited on March 31, 2011* I tried adding 2 tblsps of heavy cream to the frosting while I was beating it, and it came out wonderfully.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 4 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar (1 16-ounce bag)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; mix well, and set aside.
- Combine water, butter and cocoa in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir hot mixture into flour mixture; stir well.
- Stir in eggs and sour cream; mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- Combine butter, milk, and cocoa in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Frost cake with Chocolate-Peanut Butter Frosting.