1/2 Photos of Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Found this recipe at SmittenKitchen. This cake just bowled me over! Super moist and flavorful, but really light. It's hands-down the best from-scratch cake I've ever made, so I posted here for safekeeping!
My Private Note
three l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter the bottoms and sides of three 8-inch round cakepans.
- 3Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
- 4Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, and whisk to combine them well.
- 5Add the oil and sour cream and half the water, whisk to blend; then gradually beat in the remaining water.
- 6Blend in the vinegar and vanilla, and whisk in eggs, beating until well blended.
- 7Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed.
- 8Divide among the 3 prepared cake pans.
- 9Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- 10Let cool in the pans for about 20 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, carefully peel off the paper liners, and let cool completely.
- 11(Note: These cakes are very, very soft. I found them a lot easier to work with after firming them up in the freezer for 30 minutes. They’ll defrost quickly once assembled. You’ll be glad you did this, trust me.).
- 12Frost with desired frosting. For the Peanut Butter Frosting and Glaze with the original recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.3
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 433.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 42.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g