1 hr 45 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
I ordered a 15 cup Bundt pan from Williams-Sonoma and this recipe was on the back of the box. I did make a few changes like using semi-sweet chocolate baking squares and melting them in the microwave instead of chopping (saves a lot of time). The cake calls for 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips and my bag was 2 cups so I just added the whole bag (I think next time I will try milk chocolate chips - I love milk chocolate). I also substituted milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet in the ganache and also melted them in the microwave instead of chopping. I added the vanilla and cinnamon to the ganache for a little extra flavor (I love the flavor of cinnamon in a chocolate cake). This makes a lot of batter so you must use a 15 cup pan or if using a 12 cup pan use some of the batter for cupcakes. I found the ganache to be a little thin that's why I put it in the refrigerator to help it thicken up some. This may be a little more work than some chocolate cakes, but if you have a "choc-a-holic" in your family they will love you for making this cake. The original recipe states it serves 16, but they don't know my friends and family - LOL
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 1/2 Sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 5 eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Spray 15 cup Bundt pan very well with baking spray.
- 3Combine cocoa powder and chopped chocolate.
- 4Add boiling water and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt then set aside.
- 7In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- 8Reduce speed to low and add brown sugar and beat until blended then beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add eggs a little at a time, scraping down sides until combined.
- 10Add vanilla and beat about 1 minute.
- 11Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions alternately with sour cream, beginning with and ending with flour.
- 12Beat just until blended and no lumps of flour remain.
- 13Slowly pour in the melted chocolate mixture and beat until no white streaks are visible, scraping down sides occasionally.
- 14Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- 15Pour batter in prepared pan spreading batter so the sides are about 1 inch higher than the center.
- 16Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs, about 60 to 65 minutes.
- 17Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- 18Using a serrated knife gently saw off any excess cake that extends over the edge of the pan.
- 19Invert pan onto cooling rack and let cake cool completely.
- 21In heatproof bowl combine chocolate and butter.
- 22In small saucepan over medium-high heat bring cream just to a boil then immediately pour cream over the chocolate and butter.
- 23Whisk until melted and smooth.
- 24Place in refrigerator and let ganache thicken slightly.
- 25Spoon ganache over cooled cake allowing the ganache to drip down the sides.
- 26Let the cake stand until ganache is set at least 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.6
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 315.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 9.7 g