Recipe by PanNan
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I haven't tried it yet, but oh my, does it ever look good! The source is Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich.
- 5 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf brioche bread, torn in pieces (or panettone, or hard butter cookies)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup milk and the flour until smooth.
- In a saucepan bring 4 1/2 cups milk to a simmer over medium heat. Place chocolate in a small bowl, and ladle 1 cup of the simmering milk over the chocolate and whisk to dissolve it. Stir the dissolved chocolate into the simmering milk.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to milk in the saucepan, then stir in sugar, butter, and cinnamon, and return to the simmer. Cook, stirring until thick and smooth - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let rest about a minute. Ladle soup into warm bowls, and pass the brioche, panettone, or cookies for dunking into the soup.