Chocolate Souffle (Hotel Cipriani, Venice)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place milk and sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat and bring the milk to a boil.
- Meanwhile, use a wooden spoon to combine the butter and flour to form a smooth paste.
- When the milk boils, whisk in the butter and flour mixture. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring until the mixture is thick and glossy, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the thickened milk from the heat, transfer to a large bowl and cool. When the mixture is tepid, beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the cocoa powder.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites by hand or with an electric mixer until they are stiff but not dry. Fold them gently into the cocoa mixture.
- Butter a 2 quart souffle mild, dust with sugar and scrape the batter into the dish. The dish should be no more than 2/3 full.
- Bake until the souffle has risen above the top of the dish, is lightly browned, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately with bitter chocolate ice cream. (I like vanilla).