Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet. "A rich cake based on a French-countryside recipe from restaurant consultant Rozanne Gold. Made without butter, and with cocoa powder instead of chocolate, the cake is like a souffle that rises, then sinks as it cools."
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line bottom of 8-inch springform pan with 2-3/4-inch high sides with parchment paper.
- Spread pan and paper with vegetable oil spray.
- Sprinkle pan with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Finely grind nuts with 2 tablespoons sugar in processor.
- Transfer nut mixture to large bowl.
- Mix in 10 tablespoons sugar and cocoa, then oil.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold whites into cocoa mixture in 3 additions.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake until cake puffs and tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack about 30 minutes.
- (Cake may fall.) Cut around pan sides to loosen cake.
- Remove sides of pan and cool cake completely.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar.