Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Rich and intense
Top Review by OStreetGuy55
If your looking for a no-fail sorbet recipe that will get raves from your dinner guests, this is the one! This recipe is from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book by Bruce Weinstein. Itâ€™s one I have been making for years and is excellent! What I love about this recipe is you donâ€™t even need to use an ice cream maker. I make it and place it in porcelain tureen in the freezer. Try it, I guarantee your going to love it!
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar; place pan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and pour through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Stir the cool mixture, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker by following the manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to eat; for firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.
- *Chocolate Espresso Sorbet—add 1 teaspoon espresso powder along with the cocoa powder; proceed as directed.
- *Chocolate Mint Sorbet—add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract to the cooled mixture before freezing; proceed as directed.
- *Chocolate Nut Sorbet—add ½ cup chopped toasted pecans or almonds to the machine when the sorbet is semifrozen; allow the machine to mix in the nuts; proceed as directed.