Prep 5 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Recipe by Claudia Fleming
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 9 3⁄4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 1/4 cups of water and the sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add cocoa powder, whisking until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook mixture at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, until syrupy.
- Put chocolate in a large bowl, add half the cocoa syrup, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add remaining syrup and whisk well.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve, and let cool.
- Stir in 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of water.
- Chill sorbet mixture covered until very cold, at least 4 hours.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.