Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A delicious chocolaty frozen dessert that's low in fat and dairy-free! Uses your electric ice cream maker. Cook time includes freezing time.
- Cook sugar in dry saucepan without stirring until it begins to melt.
- Over very low heat, stir occasionally with a fork and continue cooking until all sugar is melted and it's just starting to turn a very light caramel brown (not dark brown).
- Add water - it will bubble and sizzle a lot! Use caution and cook and whisk constantly over very low heat until caramel is dissolved in the water.
- Whisk in cocoa and salt until dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool, stir it occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla then chill about 2 hours.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker then transfer to your freezer to harden.
Absolutely amazing recipe! On my second try, I added a little chipotle and cinnamon to give it a Mexican taste. Wonderful. Easy. My new "wow" dessert.
I'm so sorry, Sara, but this didn't work out for me. What happened was steps 1 and 2 turned out fine, but when I started with step3, pouring the water into the caramel, "immediately" there was a loud sizzling noise in the pan(quite scary for me) and the melted caramel hardened within seconds right before my eyes, into several wires of sugar, so to speak, a "wired mesh of brown colour(caramelised) sugar". That mesh was stone hard. I had to throw it away:( I'm feeling very bad to post this, but if there is a way to change a step or something in this recipe and proceed with this sorbet, please let me know, so I could give it one more try. On the brighter side, my house smells wonderful with the smell of the melted sugar:) Sorry and TIA, Charishma
This tasted great and everyone was amazed that it was vegan (perfect for my no-dairy, no-wheat, no-eggs friend!) A few things I tried: - I used unrefined sugar which helps the taste but makes it harder to see if you've burnt the sugar - adding warm water to the caramel helps a bit. As others have said, you have to trust yourself and keep whisking as the caramel mixes with the water. - you really do need to chill the mixture before using the ice cream maker, otherwise you don't get the right texture and it freezes harder (still tasty though) - a few raspberries, sprig and mint and dusting of icing sugar really complements it! Great recipe - thanks!