Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A rich chocolately cookies that crackles when cooked so that with it's powdered sugar cooking it looks like a snowflake. My Mom made these when I was a child. Now my children love them as well. The dough is very soft, and watch them carefully..they tend to burn fast.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring often.
- Add sugar and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and nuts blending well.
- Roll into small balls, then rolls the balls into the powdered sugar, covering all sides well.
- Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Watch carefully as they can burn easily.
- Makes approximately 7-8 dozen.
The cookies are pretty good when they are done. Very pretty to look at, kind of flat, but they are soft with a slightly crisper outer edge. HOWEVER-- advice for someone doing this recipe for the first time. It says soft dough... this is an EXTREME understatement. It is slightyly less gooey than cake batter. Since it didnt say this just "soft" i thought i did something wrong-- But I followed the recipe to a T. 2nd- It says to make small balls- the consistancy of the dough makes "balls" nearly impossible and by small means EXTREMELY small. I made mine slightly larger than a hershys kiss and only came out with 36 cookies. And a tip for rolling them in powdered sugar... since they dont make "balls" they dont "roll" its easiest to use a plate with the powdered sugar on it and drop them onto it then use your fingers to flip it around -- then it takes a slightly kind of ball shape. They DO spread out allot in the oven though.
Oh God are these good! I made these for my chocolate-loving DS, I added in tiny chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor! they were done in 8 minutes in my air convection oven. They come out soft but harden up apon cooling, great cookies Michelle!...thanks, Kitten:)