Recipe by Hoekside
This is a quick snack cake and easy to put together. It makes a change to have cocoa instead of chocolate. I have had this from an old magazine (with my own changes) at least 10 years and I have made it often.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I'm sorry but we didn't like this cake. It was lacking in sweetness and was too dark in colour - lacked presentation. I think a white icing topped with some strawberries would make this look more neat and nice to present. Besides, the amount of sugar going into making this if increased, will definitely go a long way in improving this. Sorry once again.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- strawberry jam (optional)
- icing sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add brown sugar to the dry ingredients and mix it all well.
- Add buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Put into a greased 9-inch square cake pan.
- Bake in 350 deg.F oven for about 30 mins.until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Slit the cake and spread with the strawberry jam and then put the two pieces together.
- You can dust with icing sugar or add ice cream and believe you have a german forest cake!