Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe of my mom's. Posting here for my sister. Mom said something about this being the precursor to cake mixes.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl with fork.
- Stir in water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla completely.
- Pour into ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted comes out clean, 25-40 minutes.
- If desired, dust with powdered sugar. Cake can be mixed in pan if desired.
I made this today for a treat. DH gives it 5 stars for a great chocolate fix in the middle of a busy workday, and I give it 5 stars for how easy this is to put together! I mixed everything right in the pan so there was virtually no cleanup. I opted to frost it with a light, fluffy chocolate buttercream that I threw together. Great recipe that I will definately make for a go-to quick, easy and yummy snack cake. Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.