Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 mins
This chocolate cookie recipe is from Lila Loa.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 ounces white decorator frosting or 4 ounces royal icing
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar together.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add baking powder and salt and mix again.
- Stir in the cocoa until well blended.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time.
- ** IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, ADD 3 1/2 cups flour. If you are going to “chill” the dough, or just wait for another day to make your cookies, STOP AT 3 cups.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface to 3/8 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 375 F for 6 1/2 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.
- Using a #2 tip, pipe white frosting in skeleton patterns.
- Let frosting dry 24 hours before stacking.