1 hr 15 mins
My DH and kids say this cake is "sinfully incredably, awsome" evolved from Favorite recipes (1985). Flourless
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup lightly-salted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Creme de Cacao, kahlua or dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, well chilled
- 2 1/2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1Place oven rack in lower third of oven, heat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- 2Butter and flour bottom and sides of an 8 inch (20cm) springform pan, put aside.
- 3Melt chocolate with 1/2 cup (125ml) butter.
- 4Keep chocolate warm over a pan of warm, tap water.
- 5Beat egg yolks in large mixer bowl at high speed, gradually adding 3/4 cup (180ml) of the sugar.
- 6Beat until yolk mixture is pale yellow and thick, 4 to 6 minutes.
- 7Add chocolate mixture to the yolk mixture, beat until completely smooth.
- 8Add creme de cacao and vanilla, beat until blended.
- 9Beat egg whites in medium mixer bowl at high speed until soft peaks form.
- 10Gradually beat remaining 1/4 cup (60ml) sugar into whites, continue beating until stiff but not dry peaks form.
- 11Fold whites gently but thouroughly into chocolate mixture.
- 12Pour batter evenly into reserved pan, smooth top.
- 13Bake 15 minutes.
- 14Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180C),bake another 15 minutes.
- 15Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees F (120c), bake 30 minutes longer.
- 16Total baking time is 1 hour.
- 17Turn oven off, prop open oven door and allow cake to remain in oven for 30 minutes.
- 18Remove cake from oven and cover top with damp paper toweling, let stand 5 minutes.
- 19Remove toweling and cool cake completely.
- 20Dome of cake will crack and collapse, this is normal - press top of cake down lightly to smooth topRemove springform and transfer cake to serving platter.
- 21Whip cream in chilled mixer bowl on high speed until soft peaks form.
- 22Continue beating, gradually adding 1 1/2 tablespoons (22ml) of the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 23Dust top of cake with remaining powdered sugar just before serving.
- 24Serve cake at room temperature with whipped cream.
- 25"This flourless cake rises light and lovely in the oven, then comes back down to earth as it cools to create a moist unique chocolate cake, moist textured and intensely flavoured."
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sin
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.0
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 250.2 mg
- Sodium 159.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 10.3 g